Sunday, December 2, 2007

On Taylor and Tributes


I opened up Week 13 in a local bar with The Ticket so I was able to catch the beginning of all the early games. The Washington - Buffalo game probably wouldn't have been one of the six showing had it not been for the tragic death of Sean Taylor. Instead, it was on half of the available televisions. His passing wasn't quite enough to steal the 60 inch projection screen from Peyton Manning and the Colts (I guess it would take a plane crash involving a third of the team to get that kind of treatment), but nevertheless, I was able to catch all the pregame tributes. The video messages and highlights were moving and the crowd with all their "21" towels made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I noticed the entire league was wearing Taylor's number on their helmets and the Skins had a black 21 patch on their jerseys. This was refreshing to see since I know how difficult it is for the NFL change their uniform policies.

There had been rumors swirling all week that the Redskins would open their first defensive series with 10 men on the field, leaving Taylor's safety spot vacant. At first, I thought what a bad ass way to honor a fallen player. Then I thought wait a second, this is the NF fucking L here. The pregame or halftime celebrations are great but as soon as that ball is kicked off it's go time.

If I am Dick Jauron and I see 10 men out there on defense, I'm dropping Trent Edwards back into shotgun formation and spreading that bitch 5 wide. I'm sending Roscoe Parish and Lee Evans on deep crossing routes on the empty side of the field. My team is 5-6, we are barely clinging to playoff life and here is this opportunity on a silver platter. Let's ram this shit down their throats and maybe let Evans realize a fraction of his fantasy value for the first time all year. I'll make my peace with God at another time; I'm winning this game today.

As it turned out, Buffalo chose to run Fred Jackson (Who?) off the left tackle for a gain of 22 yards. Fortunately for them, they won the game on a last second field goal but if you ask me, they could have had the game won on their first play from scrimmage.

No comments: