Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Craig Sager is the Tits


That there is Craig Sager. Prior to making his acquaintance after last night's debacle at Fenway, I always thought he was a little odd with those blazers. Maybe one loving of a little too much attention. Not necessarily a bad sideline guy but not my favorite either. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I ran into Mr. Sager at the Cask shortly after the last out and he was mobbed upon his arrival. He never seemed annoyed by this and greeted each fan as enthusiastically as the one before. Quite refreshing when you consider the percentage of primadonna's in the sports journalism business (looking at you Joe Buck).

I waited for the crowd to clear out around him before making my way over and was glad he was still friendly when I got there. A five minute conversation is what I ended up with and that was a solid 4 minutes longer than I imagined so I was quite thrilled. Here's a brief summary -

ME: Baseball different than working Basketball?
Sager: Different is the key word. The fans are different, the game is different, its a lot different

Me: Did that shit with Papelbon piss you off or were you cool with that?
Sager: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That was awesome, one of the coolest things ever. I was just pissed because I had to come here that night soaked in booze.

Me: How about that thing with Garnett was that planned?
Sager: Hold on one second I need a beer.
Me: I got plenty in the pitcher right here for you, give me your cup...
Sager: Is it Bud Light? I only drink Bud Light.
Me: Is there any other beer worth drinking? (Suck on that More Taste League)
Me: So Garnett, you know that question was coming?
Sager: Oh God no. That is the best part of this thing, the unexpected that comes when talking to athletes. Its great.

And that was that. I said thanks for the time and walked off to continue my journey to blackout land. Another successful journey I should add...its really miraculous I remember this conversation at all.

The best sideline interview ever? I think so. (Start around the 1:15 mark)


1 comment:

Lou Zell said...

Glad to see an unhealthy obsession with bud light coming through for you.